[Kde-pim] SoC Updates -- Kontact and Skrooge Plasma Dashboards

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Apr 24 01:35:08 CEST 2010

On Fri 23 April 2010 11:17:16 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> if it's in kdebase-workspace, then other apps can't use it (skrooge,
> kontact).
>
> if it's in kdebase-runtime, you can't subclass it (runtime is not a
valid
> build time dep)

As already discussed in IRC, I am personally 100% good with the newspaper
containment in its current state; I think that it fits the use cases of a
dashboard very well, when you look at it in comparison to Kontact's
existing dashboard.

The /only/ thing I can really think of after talking on IRC today is
choosing to lock it down to a set number of columns, or being able to add
a widget at a specific spot (column n, inserted after Mth widget), etc.
But that is not a blocker IMO.

Ryan

> so if something like custom toolboxes and actions are needed, then we
need
> to  find a way to make those something that can be defined and provided
by
> the host app at runtime.
>
> we do already have Containment::setToolBox, and Applet::addAction
happens
> to  be public as well.
>
> so it looks like we might already have all the pieces there.

Yup :)

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix