Review Request: monochrome battery in panel

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Apr 13 20:16:48 CEST 2010

On Monday, April 12, 2010 22:52:23 nuno pinheiro wrote:
> A Segunda, 12 de Abril de 2010 18:14:21 Marco Martin você escreveu:
> > http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/3574/

> > this makes the battery load a different svg in the panel, a monochrome
> > one, to match with the systray oriented theme it's being building. when
> > it's in the desktop and in the popup is still the default svg

> me likes need to find some time to review those icons but overal I like it

I like it, too. Please commit.

As to the theme itself, I'm not sure though if white is the best foreground colour
for the notification area icons, though. Using the Theme's foreground colour gives us
more contrast, which right now comes mainly from the shadows, the white on top of the
panel doesn't have a lot of contrast.

I remember that the Aya theme used some hack to inject a colour into themes, for
monochrome icons, that might be the ideal solution to make the foreground color of
the icons the theme's foreground colour. That would also blend in nicely with other
elements in the area (the clock uses the foreground colour as well, so do the task
manager icons, and of course text in the tooltip.

We've had complaints about lack of contrast before, so it might be a good idea to try
to take the wishes of people who like contrast into account, especially if we can
make it look even nicer then.

Other's thoughts?

> btw i think i liked the old system try arrow better

Maybe that's because the slide-out menu there uses different widgets? It might be a
nice idea to display the hidden notification area items in the same way as the non-
hidden ones by putting them next to each other in the slide-out, without the text
(which could move into the tooltip).

sebas