Plasma-Netbook Mockups

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Fri Apr 9 23:57:40 CEST 2010

Am Freitag 09 April 2010 23:10:48 schrieb Chani:

> while I can see this being handy for something like Qt Designer, it'd be a
> PITA for something like a web browser or okular.

Web browsers and Okular are single-window apps by design. Sure, you can show
more than one window at the same time, but usually those do not need to be
shown at the same time.
So with only a single document being displayed and the netbook GUI defaulting
to fullscreen app execution anyway, in those cases the Minimize button and the
Hide menu do the same thing: Hide the current window and showing the Newspaper
activity.
I don't know about Qt Designer -- I was more thinking about GIMP and such.
In some cases websites spawn small popup windows, often resulting in
interaction with the smaller windows having effects on the main window (eg. a
web forum opens a new login window). Both in this case and GIMP-like apps, the
smaller windows are clearly connected to.

> I don't care that all my
> .pdf files are open in something called "Okular", I care about getting to
> the document about magical ponies :)
>
> and guess which sort of app Joe Sixpack is more likely to be using...

Maybe I'm spoiled by my Mac experience, but I can't remember that Mac OS (X)
was ever regarded as geek-only platform. On the contrary: Mac OS X is usually
highly praised for its high usability up to a point where trolls call it a
"girl and gay" platform, because it's so easy and "real men" use Windows.
OSX too has the metaphor to minimize individual windows, hide the whole app
and even the option to hide all non-focused apps.

While I don't claim to have infinite wisdom ;-), I've used Mac OS X for 3 or 4
years, many versions of Windows, BeOS, and since 2 or 3 years KDE/Linux pretty
much exclusively (and occasionally before then) and hence think that I know a
broad spectrum of GUIs and think that I'm able to spot GUI features that are
good. :-p ;-)