Anti (gran)parents panel removing

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Wed Apr 7 19:15:42 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 07 April 2010 17:23:12 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> Hi there!

Hi,

> A few weeks ago, my parents removed the panel, and you can imagine the
> difficulty of indicating by phone how to restore it, actually I ended up
> explaining how to open a port in the router, execute krfb etc... that
> resulted easier than adding a new panel, add the basic plasmoids etc...

Actually my sister had the very same problem. She was able to get the panel
back, but she had no idea that she needed to add the tasks or systray
plasmoids in order to get basic functionality back.

> So, I've been thinking a bit about how to fix the problem, without striping
> functionalities from plasma-desktop, and this is what I got:
>
> When a panel is added, plasma would check if there are no other panels, and
> if so, a new panel will be added with the default set of plasmoids, maybe
> by using the default configuration kde comes with.

Another approach I could think of would be to change the "Add Panel" action in
the desktops context menu into a submenu containing something like "Default
Panel" and "Empty Panel". Similar to what happens if one installs the
FancyPanel Plasmoid.

Cheers,
Michael