Akonadi Calendar Dataengine

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 11:34:11 CEST 2010

On Monday 05 April 2010, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed that now - with KDE SC 4.4, I have a working Akonadi
> Calendar. Which by itself is pretty awesome of course. But wouldn't it be
> even ++aweseome if that was connected to my plasma-clock-foldout-calendar?

not only awesome, is a mst have :)

> So I set down and poked our pimsters and got all the info I need in order
> to write a data engine for the calendar. I'm good to go on the Akonadi
> part.
>
> Now I'd like to have a few comments:
>
> There are two data engines that could be extended towards this. Or I could
> start a new one of course...
>
> Calendar - this one uses queries like "isHoliday:region:date" and gives
> information about individual holidays. (btw - it seems completely
> undocumented, so you'd need to look into the source in order to find out
> what valid requests are. Is not using api dox a good idea? Or is it
> documented somewhere else?)
>
> The other one is the Akonadi dataengine which doesn't care about calendars
> yet. On the other hand it already links to Akonadi.
> It has emails, microblogging and contacts as data.
> This one uses "ContactCollection-id" so the separators are ':' and '-'. I
> guess there is no rule about this at all, so every data engine just comes
> up with it's own string concatenation scheme?

i think the akonadi dataengine would be the place to go

> For my purpose I'd rather use a date range to query calendar events.
> So I'd suggest parameters like:
> * start date (maybe like the current Calendar engine - iso: yyyy-mm-dd)
> * end date
> * optional a filter for types - this can be one of: event/todo/journal - is
> this useful?

also in the query the time could be useful (for plasmoids that show more
detailed data than the calendar for instance), perhaps a qdatetime?

> Returned would be maps with:
> start date-time, end date-time, summary, long description, location and
> type
>
> Is anyone up to changing the current calendar? It would need at least more
> colored squares and tooltips (which would also be nice for the current
> holidays).

not sure for 4.5, probably not, but can be done yes (if somebody is willing to
take it earlier would be happy tough :p)

Cheers,
Marco Martin