Akonadi Calendar Dataengine

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Mon Apr 5 11:22:06 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I just noticed that now - with KDE SC 4.4, I have a working Akonadi Calendar.
Which by itself is pretty awesome of course. But wouldn't it be even
++aweseome if that was connected to my plasma-clock-foldout-calendar?

So I set down and poked our pimsters and got all the info I need in order to
write a data engine for the calendar. I'm good to go on the Akonadi part.

Now I'd like to have a few comments:

There are two data engines that could be extended towards this. Or I could
start a new one of course...

Calendar - this one uses queries like "isHoliday:region:date" and gives
information about individual holidays. (btw - it seems completely
undocumented, so you'd need to look into the source in order to find out what
valid requests are. Is not using api dox a good idea? Or is it documented
somewhere else?)

The other one is the Akonadi dataengine which doesn't care about calendars
yet. On the other hand it already links to Akonadi.
It has emails, microblogging and contacts as data.
This one uses "ContactCollection-id" so the separators are ':' and '-'. I
guess there is no rule about this at all, so every data engine just comes up
with it's own string concatenation scheme?

For my purpose I'd rather use a date range to query calendar events.
So I'd suggest parameters like:
* start date (maybe like the current Calendar engine - iso: yyyy-mm-dd)
* end date
* optional a filter for types - this can be one of: event/todo/journal - is
this useful?

Returned would be maps with:
start date-time, end date-time, summary, long description, location and type

Is anyone up to changing the current calendar? It would need at least more
colored squares and tooltips (which would also be nice for the current
holidays).

Let me know if this is desirable, which data engine to change and then I'm
hoping for cool new todo list plasmoids and an extended calendar for the clock
:)

Next step would of course be adding a service as well in order to add new
calendar events.

Cheers
Frederik