Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Wed Sep 30 10:43:37 CEST 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>>> Same goes for applets, dataengines...
>> Can an applet unload itself from memory? What I meant with "stop itself
>> after a while", was the notify-osd executable calling exit(). I believe
>> your desktop would be a bit too clean if an applet called exit() :).
>
> the overhead of a running applet should be negligable unless it's doing
> something rather wrong.
>
> so while you can certainly have an applet remove itself you'd also need a way
> to re-create it, position it properly, make sure any user adjustments
> previously made to it remain, etc. then there'd be the overhead of any re-
> layouts this triggers in the containment, etc. for the memory savings that
> would result, this probably isn't worth it.

I agree. My point was that the perceived bloat of having a separate
executable running in the background could be compensated by having said
executable stop itself after some time, since DBus would restart it when
needed.

>> True, but in both cases it would have needed a patch.
>> Offtopic: it's too bad Plasma does not have a DBus call to reload its
>> config.
>
> you really don't want to do that; this implies something other than plasma-
> desktop has touched the config file(s) but plasma-desktop may have written
> over it since then. due to limitations in kconfig this whole "change the
> config file on disk behind the app's back" is a non-starter.

OK.

>> Could be handy when going from one distro release to another
>> (/me thinks about the switch between knetworkmanager the executable and
>> knetworkmanager the plasmoid). I'll try to implement this if I find time.
>
> this is why i wrote the QScript based system for controlling plasma-desktop.
> it supports update scripts. there's a file in workspace/plasma/design/ about
> it and i've blogged about it as well.

Oh! I'll forward this to Jonathan. I was thinking about adding a way for
kconf_update to run commands before and after updates (so that a script
could stop plasma-desktop, edit its configuration and restart it), but
this sounds better.

Aurelien