Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 29 20:13:46 CEST 2009

On September 29, 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> >> Keep in mind that the
> >> binary is started on demand, so it does not take any memory if you are
> >> not using it (assuming it would automatically stop itself after a
> >> while).
> >
> > Same goes for applets, dataengines...
>
> Can an applet unload itself from memory? What I meant with "stop itself
> after a while", was the notify-osd executable calling exit(). I believe
> your desktop would be a bit too clean if an applet called exit() :).

the overhead of a running applet should be negligable unless it's doing
something rather wrong.

so while you can certainly have an applet remove itself you'd also need a way
to re-create it, position it properly, make sure any user adjustments
previously made to it remain, etc. then there'd be the overhead of any re-
layouts this triggers in the containment, etc. for the memory savings that
would result, this probably isn't worth it.

> >> The alternative of using a kded module could have been a good idea, but
> >> it would have required the creation of a kcm to configure the system.
> >> Such kcm would have had to tweak Plasma system tray settings behind its
> >> back, which could have been a problem to get on the fly changes. It
> >> would have at least needed to patch the applet to tell it to stop
> >> listening on dbus.
> >
> > You could just as well manipulate the kded module's config from the
> > systray's config dialog.
>
> True, but in both cases it would have needed a patch.
> Offtopic: it's too bad Plasma does not have a DBus call to reload its
> config.

you really don't want to do that; this implies something other than plasma-
desktop has touched the config file(s) but plasma-desktop may have written
over it since then. due to limitations in kconfig this whole "change the
config file on disk behind the app's back" is a non-starter.

> Could be handy when going from one distro release to another
> (/me thinks about the switch between knetworkmanager the executable and
> knetworkmanager the plasmoid). I'll try to implement this if I find time.

this is why i wrote the QScript based system for controlling plasma-desktop.
it supports update scripts. there's a file in workspace/plasma/design/ about
it and i've blogged about it as well.

humru othro a kohnu se