Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Wed Sep 23 19:24:43 CEST 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On September 23, 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
>> presented as "your initiative" regardless of Ayatana. However, with Ayatana
>> notifications user interaction is not possible, hence your previous patch
>>  was either an unfortunate wrong timing coincidence or strictly related.
>
> of course it is strictly related. that this wasn't made obvious in the posting
> to kde-core-devel is a little odd but also completely what i've come to
> expect. i didn't really feel like going into on kde-core-devel because i don't
> think there's anything to gain at this point, but it's no  surprise that the
> people who felt it necessary to come up with such a patch are the people who
> have removed actions from notifications. 2 + 2 = 4.

I just explained myself about this in my answer to Dario. As I said it
was poor timing and I recon I should have been handled this in a
different way.

>>  the desktop workspace would be broken. Hence this makes me really believe
>>  you're taking the wrong route here. You are basically pushing 2 different
>
> before this gets carried forward into a big thread on this list, it has been
> made very clear that Canonical is intent on following through on these ideas
> as they are. it  is an insular project without outside participation, which is
> something they are perfectly free to engage in and i fully support their right
> to do so.

I try to reach out with this mail. If we were not looking for outside
participation, you would not find me regularly trying to upstream changes.

And things can change too. For example the more I think about
indicators, the more I believe you are right in that they should be
implemented in terms of an evolution of the system tray. Getting other
members of my team to think the same is another story...

> btw, i'd recommend to anyone using the Ayatana notifications patch not do so
> on a laptop running on battery power if you care about getting the most out of
> a battery charge.

I guess you mean I made a stupid mistake in my code. Can you explain
what it is?

Aurélien