Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Wed Sep 23 18:45:51 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch 23 September 2009 18:21:32 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> >> An important point: While the patch is integrated in Kubuntu, the
> >> default behavior is to use KDE notifications. The user can switch to
> >> Ayatana notifications through an option of the system tray configuration
> >> dialog (there are even preview buttons to help the user decide).
> >>
> >> http://people.canonical.com/~agateau/plasma-ayatana-notifications/config
> >>ura tion.png
> >
> > Sorry have you ever considered how that looks to the user? Which user
> > does know about Ayatana? That is a technical term which should not be
> > presented in a UI.
>
> I was thinking just like you. My initial patch was labeled "Lighter
> notifications", but Celeste and ScottK (of Kubuntu fame) suggested to
> put the Ayatana word here to start building a brand on it.
>
> > Why should a user switch to something else than the KDE notifications?
> > The dialog is completely missing any information on what the
> > notifications provide, what's the difference between the two and in the
> > end it will come down to the one provides different possible positions
> > while the other doesn't
>
> It seems you missed the "Preview" buttons in the dialog.
No I didn't and tried it. But still it just shows that it is a different style.
It doesn't show anything about the different functionalities. It's just a small
preview it's not usage, like a Kopete notfication or a Suspend notification.

> > (btw
> > the last time I tested Karmic the edges monitor didn't get disabled when
> > switching to KDE notifications).
>
> Good point. Will fix.
>
> > If you wanted to give an easy way to test this
> > system while not destroying user experience you should have made this a
> > hidden config file option.
>
> I would not call this an "easy way to test"
An easy way to experiment for advanced users while not breaking setups for
beginners.

> > And I am realy afraid that there will be the time when Kubuntu switches
> > from KDE notifications to those Ayatana notifications. I realy hope that
> > will never happen.
>
> My knowledge of the Kubuntu community makes me quite confident this
> won't happen.
Well maybe the French community is better. But for Germany there is no such
thing as a translator for Kubuntu any more. Rosetta did a good job on that :-(
Obvious strings like "Select System Language" in the Language KCM is still
untranslated for years. But that's OT.