netbook irc meeting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at
Mon Sep 21 18:20:27 CEST 2009

On September 21, 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > >   - i would swap current window control and the search field
> >
> > swap position you mean? if so, why?
> just to have the close window button in the same position in upper right
> corner as normal windows,

ah, yes, that's important.

> but i don't tink is a really important thing, and
> since the present windows is triggered at the upper left corner it could
>  make sense to leave the button that triggers the same effect near to it

those two things (close window and show windows) could be separate?

a "tabbed browser" approach might also work where each running app appears as
a tab entry at the top next to newspaper and search; but then we run into the
usual task bar space issues. hm.. no, pretend i never said that ;)

> > >   - connected to the ability to have multiple "pages" (just tought
> > > about it now) a button after activitybar that creates a new newspaper
> > > activity
> >
> > this could also be in the newspaper page itself to save space in the
> > activitybar?
> in the toolbox maybe?

makes sense. were also going to want to do a custom toolbox eventually i
think. the current one is functional but doesn't really work with the layout.

> > i don't think a separate applet for this is needed at all now, tbh. and
> > if it's always in the panel, then we don't need the separate icon in the
> > panel either. just focus the line edit when switching to it.
> so leave just the search field in the middle of the sal? (and focus it as
>  soon as the sal containment is activated)

i think so. that's easy and clean.

> > * widgets shouldn't move around whether the handle is visible or not
> shouldn't be possible to move the widgets with the handles? hmm

ah, yes. what i meant is that the handles should make the widgets "jiggle
around" Inside the layout (like the notifications icon in the systray used to
do to the panel)

Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se