netbook irc meeting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 21 18:20:27 CEST 2009

On September 21, 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > >   - i would swap current window control and the search field
> >
> > swap position you mean? if so, why?
>
> just to have the close window button in the same position in upper right
> corner as normal windows,

ah, yes, that's important.

> but i don't tink is a really important thing, and
> since the present windows is triggered at the upper left corner it could
>  make sense to leave the button that triggers the same effect near to it

those two things (close window and show windows) could be separate?

a "tabbed browser" approach might also work where each running app appears as
a tab entry at the top next to newspaper and search; but then we run into the
usual task bar space issues. hm.. no, pretend i never said that ;)

> > >   - connected to the ability to have multiple "pages" (just tought
> > > about it now) a button after activitybar that creates a new newspaper
> > > activity
> >
> > this could also be in the newspaper page itself to save space in the
> > activitybar?
>
> in the toolbox maybe?

makes sense. were also going to want to do a custom toolbox eventually i
think. the current one is functional but doesn't really work with the layout.

> > i don't think a separate applet for this is needed at all now, tbh. and
> > if it's always in the panel, then we don't need the separate icon in the
> > panel either. just focus the line edit when switching to it.
>
> so leave just the search field in the middle of the sal? (and focus it as
>  soon as the sal containment is activated)

i think so. that's easy and clean.

> > * widgets shouldn't move around whether the handle is visible or not
>
> shouldn't be possible to move the widgets with the handles? hmm

ah, yes. what i meant is that the handles should make the widgets "jiggle
around" Inside the layout (like the notifications icon in the systray used to
do to the panel)

humru othro a kohnu se