Review request: Container plasma applet

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:24:48 CEST 2009

On Sunday 20 September 2009, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> I know that that functionality belongs in a Containment, but since
> containments in containments are not supported i had to use an Applet.
> And i know that this applet will never have all the functionalities the
> containments have, but this isn't my goal. I wanted to develop a simple
> applet to group other applets. I don't plan to implement e.g. the new
> feature that loads the applet depending on the mimetype dropped.
>
> I developed this also because I thought to do a plasmoid that was actually
> a set of plasmoids inserted in this applet. But if you say that this brings
> many bugs and headaches amybe i'll change my mind.
> I don't understand however why the systemtray isn't problematic while this
> one it is.

well, it's a bit problematic indeed actually, one of the reasons the config ui
only permits to add a tiny supset of the applets, for 2 reasons what there
could make sense from an user pov but most important excluding the ones that
will break. (and have already to lie about the real formfactor to not make it
explode in the desktop)

> I already published it on kde-look, and I'd say people like it, since it is
> already 80% good with only 73 downloads, but I thought it would be more
> discoverable to the people if it was inside KDE, since, from what I read,
> some people need it.
>
> Anyway, with your last sentence you was saying that I could have done a
> similar thing working directly on containments?
>

> Giulio
>
> 2009/9/20 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
> > On September 20, 2009, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> > > I've added in kdereview/plasma/applets an applet i made recently. It
> > > is,
> >
> > as
> >
> > >  the name suggests, an applet that lets you contain and group other
> > >  applets.
> >
> > this functionality belongs in a Containment, not an Applet.
> >
> > we have two applets right now that can contain other applets: system tray
> > and
> > system monitor. the latter has had numerous bugs and is, to be frank, an
> > implementation mistake. there is nothing that could not have been done
> > much easier and with less hacking around stuff if system monitor had not
> > been written to embed the various system monitor applets directly.
> >
> > the design of Plasma is such that the Containment<->Applet relationship
> > is quite carefully crafted and solves a lot of issues.
> > ContainerWidget::drop which does not support various features found in
> > Containment is a good example
> > of this.
> >
> > i think it's a nice candidate for publishing on kde-look.org and you can
> > certainly put it into extragear if you'd like, but the concept is
> > problematic
> > from a design perspective and will cause inconsistencies and other
> > problems if
> > we ship it with Plasma.
> >
> > given Containments have complete freedom on how to manage, group, etc.
> > Applets, focusing these kinds of efforts there would make a lot more
> > sense.
> >
> > --
> > Aaron J. Seigo
> > humru othro a kohnu se
> > GPG Fingerprint: 8B8B 2209 0C6F 7C47 B1EA  EE75 D6B7 2EB1 A7F1 DB43

Marco Martin