Generic view widget for Plasma

David Palacio dpalacio at uninorte.edu.co
Sat Sep 19 05:58:20 CEST 2009

The Qt Model/View framework is being forgotten for Plasma widgets. I like the
folderview's panel mode and I wanted to make a generic quick access widget
similar. If it were made as a View, anybody else could plug any model to it.
Code less, create more ;)

Think of the konsole and konqueror profiles widgets. Or Chani's desktop menu
launcher. They seem out of place, not styled. I would love to have them to
look as good as folderview.

I already considered using any view and setting a custom QItemDelegate. Then I
found QStyledItemDelegate and the already existing, but incomplete, plasma
style. I think this last pair is the best and most flexible solution.

::Solution
* The private Plasma::Style should be extended to let the scrollarea and view
items be painted in the current theme style.
* Export the different view widgets to Plasma.

Some links:
Brainstorm idea http://forum.kde.org/brainstorm.php#idea81813

Reimplementation of the konsole profiles widget as a folderview
http://imagebin.ca/view/Ayp-Nz.html