How to get Akonadi notes onto Plasma?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 19:43:15 CEST 2009

Marco Martin wrote:

> On Thursday 22 October 2009, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get notes from Akonadi onto a plasma workspace.
>>
>> I've been reading some of the apidocs and I can't figure out if I need a
>> data engine, whether I need one Plasma::Applet per note, whether I need a
>> 'manager' plasmoid that manages all others, keeping them up to date, and
>> adding/removing etc.
>>
>> In Akonadi I just create an EntityTreeModel which has api for all of that
>> stuff. If I can forward those calls to plasma somehow, that would be
>> good, but I need a starting point. Do I create my model in a Applet, or a
>> Data Engine etc?
>>
>> Also, if that's completely the wrong track, please set me straight.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Steve.
>
> you can directly use it, or wrap around a dataengine (and doing a service
> for writing new ones) not sure what makes more sense here.

Directly using it might be good. But what do I need to implement to get the
notes onto plasma? Should I implement a plasma applet as you describe below,
create the model in that, and connect its signals to slots that create new
extenders?

> for the notes i would do a sngle applet, with an extenderitem per note, so
> by default they would all look stacked but they could be detached and
> dragged around

Apparently that has other drawbacks that the notes don't look like notes or
something. The conclusion from getting help on irc is not to take that
approach.

What is the alternative?

All the best,

Steve.