Currencies and Countries. Was: Re: OT: Thanks!

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 19 02:02:48 CEST 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 23:16:29 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> Hmm. I get your point. didn't think of that. And unfortunately the problem
> will also be in Currency Converter because a currency can be used in
>  several countries:

Yep, it's something I plan to cater for in the currency stuff.

> And then there are both alpha-2 and alpha-3 codes :-/

And for countries too there are alpha-2, alpha-3, numeric-3, FIPS, NATO...
The great thing about standards are there are so many to choose from :-)
They're also on my list to look into supporting.

> Guess I'll better drop they eye-candy. Just thought it would look cool :-)

Well, for currency I don't think it's such a problem, as even when a currency
is used in several countries like the USD or NZD, there is usually only one
country that issues the currency and you can use that flag.  The exception of
course are things like the Euro, Caribbean dollar, and CFA Franc where you
would need to find an appropriate symbol like the EU flag.

Cheers!

John.