Currencies and Countries. Was: Re: OT: Thanks!

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 23:46:51 CEST 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 21:21:15 you wrote:
> Well, anyways. I wanted to use the flags for my Google Translator Plasmoid
>  and couldn't figure out why only some of the flags showed up in the
>  ComboBox. It turned out that Google are using slightly different country
>  codes than KDE uses in l10n. Eg. Danish is "da" in Google Translate but dk
>  in KDE. Isn't there some kind of ISO standard or whatever for country
>  codes?
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxlanguage/documentation/reference.html#LangN
> ameArray

Actually, Google would be using the language codes rather than the country
codes.  There is a standard for both, both of which KDE uses, but there is no
reliable mapping from one to the other, especially as a language can be used
in many countries, and a country can have many languages, and people have been
know to get touchy about the difference :-)