PlasMate ~ UI and other stuff

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 20:12:11 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenhoe86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Haven't heard from you (plasmate) guys for awhile, guess you guys are busy
> :) Anyway, just like some input here. As per the

Ugh, just ban exams in universities :P

quick discussion the other day, I recently had the editor component tree
> widget separated out into a new dock widget, so it no longer gets replaced
> by the katepart that gets loaded when you click a file. I've been toying
> around with the layout and dockwidget positionings since - and I can't help
> thinking that, with the addition of this new dockwidget, the whole UI has
> become awfully cluttered. This is about the best layout I can come up with
> atm:
>
> http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/yuenhoe/plasmateclutter.jpg

I think the main problem now is that there are too many 'vertical'
> dockwidgets - the timeline, the sidebar, and now the editor tree. Vertical
> dockwidgets only fit naturally on the left/right dockareas, but having three
> of them there, plus the mainwidget in the center, really makes the thing
> so... layered, and crowded. Not to mention virtually unusable on a small
> screen.
>
> Well, until we find out a solution, using them tabbed (just try moving one
dock widget over another) can help, but at the cost of more clicks, so a bad
interface.
What about making the siebar into a toolbar? Or make it smaller?

Some possible ways around it:

>    - Make one (or more) of the 'vertical' dockwidgets 'horizontal' so that
>    we can fit it snugly on the top dockarea instead. I think the editor tree
>    has to stay vertical, so it'd have to be either the sidebar actions menu or
>    the timeline widget, both of which I'm loathe to touch without first
>    consulting with you all :) Those two are now QListWidget derivatives, and it
>    doesn't look like there's an easy way to 'horizontalize' them without
>    rewriting quite abit of code.
>    - The old mockups:
>
>    http://skitch.com/michaelrudolph/ba3j9/plasmate-editor2
>    http://skitch.com/michaelrudolph/ba3cg/plasmate-editor-timeline
>
>    suggested an interesting 'overlay' effect for the timeline - and also
>    that the timeline be hidden all the time until a button at the bottom is
>    clicked.
>    - I dunno... ideas?
>
> Also, it seems like alot of stuff with PlasMate is currently 'hanging'. The
> timeline seems to work nicely, but what's gonna happen with the missing
> publish widget and documentation widget? I've been spending my free time
> hacking away at the editor and previewer and there are certainly plenty more
> work needed with those two but I was just wondering about the larger view of
> the project, since no one seems to be paying much attention to it at the
> moment :)

I think you have an idea about how to 'run' a scripted plasmoid, so, whats
needed at this point to add that to Plasmate?

> ----
> Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
> http://yuenhoe.co.cc/

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)