OT: Thanks!

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 18 19:50:04 CEST 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 00:51:04 Chani wrote:
> um, what about currencies with >1 subunit? :) china's got kuai/yuan,
>  mao/jiao and fen/(I forget). (yes, they have two names for each unit,
>  too!) 1 kuai = 10 mao, 1 mao = 10 fen.
> then again, dealing with fen was so rare IME that maybe it can be ignored,
>  but I don't know if there are other currencies where it can't be ignored
>  so easily.

Yep, that's something I'm still mulling over.  There's at least 3 currencies
that do this, and do it in different ways, but all the ones I've seen so far
do seem to have one preferred, or we can always just use the smallest subunit.
There's no other OS or desktop I've seen that supports multiple subunits, so
it could be an advantage for us to do so, but I'm not sure all the extra
overhead would be worth it.

And I need to talk to the translators about all the different naming schemes
and plurals, etc.  Who knew such a simple thing could be so complex? :-)