activities overview, take N

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Oct 14 15:47:35 CEST 2009

I have been reading or glancing this thread for a while (many longer posts are
unreadable because of all the variations of included text being answered).

If we are not talking about a one-to-one desktop-activity relationship which
might be the most straightforward to understand, in other words an activity is
a group of icons, windows, tasks and not a desktop per se....

The current zoom out, set up, zoom in, find them all different on next
login...is hopelessly slow, incomplete and broken. I woud scrap it.

Activities might be connected the current desktop from a right-click, from the
panel, dashboard and/or from an appropriate previewing plasmoid.

These activities could be containments based on the current folder view but
could contain (additionally) plasmoids (?) and functioning .desktop files. If
we want tasks running when the activity is brought up, we would probably want
them started up where they left off the last session. More difficult if
impossible for many apps. An activity and its data might be referenced or
contained in one folder.

A trivial example is the desktop folder containment itself or an appropriately
filtered folder-view of the desktop folder. There could, of course, be more
than one or none on any desktop, the same activity might be on several
desktops. There would be no implicit relationship between activities and
configured desktops.

While a Rubic's cube of activities/desktops might be cool, I doubt it would
really be useful. The fact the these hyper-space representations have not been
widely adapted implies that they are not such wonderful tools. KISS.