activities overview, take N

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 22:08:37 CEST 2009

On October 13, 2009, Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> > > Just give us a list which effects should be activated by a plasmoid and
> > > we can add the atoms (which is everything except generic :-P)
> > >
> > > I think it makes sense for:
> > >  * present windows (atom already there for netbook shell)
> > >  * desktop grid
> > >  * cube
> > >  * tabbox effects (requires some changes to get them working without
> > >  alt+tab) * zoom effects?
> >
> > not sure the tab box is really needs, but the others could be quite
> > handy.
> >
> > slightly off-topic: what would you think about making the "show windows /
> > desktops zoomed out in some presentation" type effects not include the
> >  desktop panels?
> >
> > the reasons include:
> >
> > * the panel often has things like the tasks widget which shows all the
> >  windows but may also show only for the "current" desktop ... which
> > doesn't work very nicely in overview modes
> >
> > * if the panels stayed un-transformed, it could give a really interesting
> > visual effect where the "desktop area" gets transformed and the panel
> > "overlays" remain as they are
>
> if you want to try it: the present windows effect has an option to not hide
>  the panel and the cube desktop switch animation does not hide the panels
>  by default and that one looks really slick.

just tried both of these options, and i have to agree: it looks much slicker
with the panels remaining where they are.

i think the desktop cube would look nicer and more consistent with the
switcher without the panels included as well.

> > * it would make some of these effects more consistent with the alt-tab
> > box which does not transform the panels either
>
> Box Switch keeps them untransformed and the more fancy effects fade them
>  out. I think it would be possible to keep the panel in place instead of
>  fading it out.

could the kwin devs consider make it a design guideline to not include panels
in such effects but instead leave them untransformed?  it just looks/feels so
much more ... nicer.

the only draw back would be if we ever make panels per-desktop. but then i
guess the heuristic could be "don't transform panel windows that are also on
all desktops"?

humru othro a kohnu se