activities overview, take N

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Tue Oct 13 21:13:30 CEST 2009

Am Dienstag 13 Oktober 2009 20:19:44 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On October 13, 2009, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > both that and modifying kwin to gve it all the necessary atoms to
> > > activate all the needed effects :)
> >
> > Just give us a list which effects should be activated by a plasmoid and
> > we can add the atoms (which is everything except generic :-P)
> >
> > I think it makes sense for:
> >  * present windows (atom already there for netbook shell)
> >  * desktop grid
> >  * cube
> >  * tabbox effects (requires some changes to get them working without
> >  alt+tab) * zoom effects?
>
> not sure the tab box is really needs, but the others could be quite handy.
>
> slightly off-topic: what would you think about making the "show windows /
> desktops zoomed out in some presentation" type effects not include the
>  desktop panels?
>
> the reasons include:
>
> * the panel often has things like the tasks widget which shows all the
>  windows but may also show only for the "current" desktop ... which doesn't
>  work very nicely in overview modes
>
> * if the panels stayed un-transformed, it could give a really interesting
> visual effect where the "desktop area" gets transformed and the panel
> "overlays" remain as they are
if you want to try it: the present windows effect has an option to not hide the
panel and the cube desktop switch animation does not hide the panels by
default and that one looks really slick.

> * it would make some of these effects more consistent with the alt-tab box
> which does not transform the panels either
Box Switch keeps them untransformed and the more fancy effects fade them out. I
think it would be possible to keep the panel in place instead of fading it
out.

> would be worth experimenting with at least, and if it works nicely it could
> give kwin a bit more of a unique look.
>
> > Instead of using atoms we could also extend the dbus interface to have a
> > really generic interface. Don't know if that's a good idea...
>
> i think atoms are probably good enough. it feels like a realy natural way
>  to deal with kwin now that we've been doing it for some time like that.

agreed