activities overview, take N

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:40:24 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenhoe86 at gmail.com> wrote:

> * associating a Window with an Activity could happen in one of two places:
>> new button in the window title bar (would mean some adjustment to kwin)
>> that
>> would list activities from nepomuk. the other place would be the context
>> menu
>> of items in the tasks widget
>>

> Hmm, I think it's highly likely that people would need/want to associated
> large numbers of windows to an activity at a time (take Chani's use case -
> if a code project is associated with an activity then there'd be
> documentation, code editors, designers, etc) so having to click around menus
> for each window is a little clunky IMHO. Having something drag and
> drop-based might help, but I was thinking if perhaps we could do it the way
> it is done with virtual desktops - with virtual desktops, when I open
> windows in this virtual desktop it is automatically associated with this
> desktop, so I can populate my desktops by opening windows, switching to the
> next desktop, opening more, so on, and they all automatically stay in the
> desktops I opened them in. Might it be possible to do something similar for
> activities - have an option that says 'Associate new windows with the
> current activity', which, when active, automatically associates all windows
> opened with the activity in which it is opened?
>

> Just a thought :)
>
> ----
> Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe
> http://yuenhoe.co.cc/

Well, if we associate windows with a certain activity, I think we're kind of
going to the virtual desktop idea. As I said earlier, this whole virtual
desktop + activity concept seems to confuse people (even more when they use
the desktop cube effect). We either have to think of some other term (like
the window groups which was proposed some time back) or somehow make the
current arrangement more clear to the user.
IMO, windows can be grouped and then groups can be assigned to activities. A
use case would be the user keeping educational applets and educational
applications/windows related to the "Learning" activity. And some option on
windows like "Show in all activities" would help showing a small terminal
window everywhere.

--
Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com