activities overview, take N

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 22:28:24 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> [...]
> it
> is a mode.
>
> in that mode the user must switch from "i'm using the web browser" thinking
> "i'm managing the window of this web browser".
>
> the whole screen would change.
>
> applications would get little dummy representations of themselves drawn in
> little boxes. i kept thinking "this is really just another form of the
> tasks
> widget".
>
> we don't do that anywhere else in plasma-desktop, really. the desktop shell
> frames the applications you are working on and compliments that work. it is
> visually and interaction-wise distinct from your applications, causing a
> "this
> is mine" and "this is the computer's" distinction to become clear (which is
> also a dualism), but we never create a modality along those lines. they
> coexist peacefully. to accomplish that peaceful coexistence we have these
> "shell" and "application" visual identities.
>
> so i started asking myself: how can we break this activities overview
> feature
> set down so that it is no longer a mode but "melts" into this coexistence?
>
> here are some thoughts i had:
>
> * in the same panel controller window that we now show the Add Widgets
> interface, we could show a Choose Activity interface. it would share a lot
> of
> presentation code with Add Widgets for consistency.
>
> * instead of categories in the tab widget it would have  "Active" and
> "Stored". instead of destroying an Activity, you could store it for later
> use.
> these stored Activities would then show up in the Stored section; an rc
> file
> and a screenshot pic would be saved to disk for each stored Activity. store
> and trash would perhaps appear in the hover interface that pops up when the
> icon is moused over or in a touch based world selected.
>
> * a "New Activity" tab would appear Active and Stored and would allow you
> create a new activity, including picking what kind of activity and
> optionally
> what other activity you would like to clone
>
> * associating a Window with an Activity could happen in one of two places:
> new button in the window title bar (would mean some adjustment to kwin)
> that
> would list activities from nepomuk. the other place would be the context
> menu
> of items in the tasks widget
>
> * the tasks widget could have an added "show only windows for the current
> activity" feature
>
> * a "hidden windows" button could be shown in the tasks widget when there
> are
> hidden-by-activity-change windows around; switching to one of those windows
> would switch the activity as well?
>
> * a "Choose Activity" button would appear in the toolboxes (panel and

+1
Right now I've to manually do this by adding an activity switcher to a new
panel.

> * the kwin desktop grid effect would have remove/add buttons added to it to
> fill the virtual desktop management gap a bit more; we should offer a
> plasmoid
> to trigger it and perhaps add it, by default, to the panel
>
> * windows associated with an activity could be listed in the mouse over pop
> up
> in the Choose Activities interface
>
> * in a-containment-per-virtual-desktop mode (which i'm starting to feel
> small
> amounts of regret over offering ... but maybe i'm just being pessimistic :)
> the "Choose Activities" would be per-virtual-desktop. if you wanted to
> migrate
> an activity from one desktop to another, you'd have to store it first. the
> more i think about per-virtual-desktop containments the more i cringe,
> though.

Maybe not exactly related to this thread, but still something I'd like to
mention-
The concept of virtual desktops and activities being separate is something
I've seen beginners feel rather confusing. Seeing the word "desktop", it
gives the impression of desktop=wallpaper+applets and when switching
desktops doesn't change the applets (and changing activities does), it gets
confusing. I remember there was some idea of replacing virtual desktops with
kind of a "window grouping" concept. It will be great and avoids this
confusion. I wonder what happened to the idea ..

> there's probably more than could be done along this line of thinking. any
> ideas?
>
> the basic change in direction is that instead of making it a full on mode a
> person must switch into to get an overview of things, it becomes part of
> the
> overall system that doesn't require you to put away your windows and other
> tools in the meantime.
>
> thoughts?
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo