Calculator runner

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 23:10:35 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On October 6, 2009, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Well, depends a lot on how odd it is, you could install it within kdeedu
> >  the same way we do with the kalgebra plasmoid. There's no odd dependency
> >  crossing here.
>
> the problem would be that we would then have two calculation plugins: one
> in
> kdebase (because a calculator isn't really optional in krunner) and one in
> kdeedu. we'd either need to ship both together (which means kdebase) or we
> need to provide a way for one plugin to automatically deactivate another.
>
> that would probably mean implementing a category system for specific types
> of
> functionality for which only one plugin should be active for (e.g.
> "Calculator") and a ranking system as we have with KTrader (so the kalgebra
> runner could install at a higher rank than the default qscript one).
>
> before we go through all that trouble: is is there a way we can use
> KAlgebra
> from multiple threads without problems? it's perfectly fine to instantiate
> some state object(s) in each call to AbstractRunner::match, but they need
> either not have any shared data with other classes (which may contain code
> executed in a different thread) or be thread safe.
>
> --
> Aaron J. Seigo
> humru othro a kohnu se

As for thread safety, there should be not much of a problem, most of the
code is not very interdepent. I'm actually already calculating 3D graphs and
it simply works (there's an ugly hack to be able to use the same variable
set, but that will be solved in an upcoming patch).

Well anyway I planned to write the runner at some point, I just have a too
large todo list right now (as everyone else i guess). Maybe I'll come up
with it at some point before 4.5.

Aleix