Calculator runner

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 22:27:01 CEST 2009

On October 6, 2009, Aleix Pol wrote:
> Well, depends a lot on how odd it is, you could install it within kdeedu
>  the same way we do with the kalgebra plasmoid. There's no odd dependency
>  crossing here.

the problem would be that we would then have two calculation plugins: one in
kdebase (because a calculator isn't really optional in krunner) and one in
kdeedu. we'd either need to ship both together (which means kdebase) or we
need to provide a way for one plugin to automatically deactivate another.

that would probably mean implementing a category system for specific types of
functionality for which only one plugin should be active for (e.g.
"Calculator") and a ranking system as we have with KTrader (so the kalgebra
runner could install at a higher rank than the default qscript one).

before we go through all that trouble: is is there a way we can use KAlgebra
from multiple threads without problems? it's perfectly fine to instantiate
some state object(s) in each call to AbstractRunner::match, but they need to
either not have any shared data with other classes (which may contain code
executed in a different thread) or be thread safe.

humru othro a kohnu se