New devicenotifier moved to kdereview

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:52:34 CEST 2009

2009/10/4 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>

> On October 4, 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> >  now, we believe that it is ready for merging into trunk. Of course we
> need
> >  your feedback first, so grab it, try it out and tell us what you think!
>
> i still don't see the need for either of the popup control options. why
> should
> we care how long it pops up?
>
> i can think of two use cases for the "show pop up when device is inserted":
>
> a) the user simply doesn't want that behaviour but still wants access to
> their
> devices
>
> b) the user has set up the notifier to not display some devices and so
> doesn't
> want it popping up when those devices are inserted
>
> (b) is probably easily done by simply not popping up the window if the
> device
> is hidden in it.

if the device inserted is hidden the popup doesn't show up, it doesn't
matter if that option is enabled or not. so the usecase behind that option
was (a).

so the question is "is (a) worth supporting?" personally, i don't think so.
> the point of this thing is as a device *notifier*. it's not just a device
> *lister*.

but in the real world the main point of this applet is to access the
devices, because if i insert a cd or a usb drive i don't need the computer
to tell me that i inserted it, i already know that!