Initial size and aspect ratio

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 3 00:34:14 CEST 2009

On October 2, 2009, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On 2/10-2009 20:13 "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On October 2, 2009, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > >  - After having created the UI and layout in init() I need to resize
> > > the Plasmoid the a reasonable size as it is too small without
> > > specifying it [1]. I don't want to use a fixed pixel size as this can
> > > be wrong for different themes, fonts etc. I tried to resize it based on
> > > the max/minimum width/height of the main layout but that caused
> > > plasma-desktop to eat all memory and eventually crash so I guess thats
> > > the wrong way to do it ;-) What is the best practice for setting the
> > > initial size?
> >
> > does the widget use a top level layout? you should be able to just set a
> > default reasonable size in the ctor and then the layout can expand the
> >  widget if needed.
>
> Yes I have a toplevel layout

the layout should be adjusting the size of the widgets it contains as needed
or making sure the Applet item itself is large enough if the minimum size is
run into. something is going wrong with the widget layout....

> and I now I have set a default size both in
> init()

it should not go into init() as that will override the user's settings between
sessions.

humru othro a kohnu se