Initial size and aspect ratio

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:55:16 CEST 2009

Hi

Working on my first Plasmoid - a Currency Converter written in Python. I pretty
much got everything working much thanks to people on this list and on
http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/mailman/listinfo/pyqt. A couple of things
are left that I cannot seem to find the answer for anywhere:

 - After having created the UI and layout in init() I need to resize the
Plasmoid the a reasonable size as it is too small without specifying it [1]. I
don't want to use a fixed pixel size as this can be wrong for different themes,
fonts etc. I tried to resize it based on the max/minimum width/height of the
main layout but that caused plasma-desktop to eat all memory and eventually
crash so I guess thats the wrong way to do it ;-) What is the best practice
for setting the initial size?

 - Yesterday I redesigned the layout and in the process I mistakenly deleted a
line that made the Plasmoid ignore aspect ratio and now I don't remember where
I found it, if it was a call to Plasma::Applet, the layout or whatever. Does
anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I know it sounds a bit hazy :-)

[1] http://picasaweb.google.com/tanghus/Screenies#5388058277920917842

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

  Thomas Olsen