messaging-indicator in kdereview?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 26 18:28:25 CET 2009

On November 26, 2009, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:49:22PM +0100, Sebastian K?gler wrote:
> > It seems there's a messaging indicator applet in kdereview since the
> > start of November. It doesn't build however (with karmic's packaged
> > libindicate-qt) and didn't get any non-scripty activity in more than two
> > months. Also, it's built unconditionally, even if its dependency
> > (libindicate-qt) isn't there, another breakage. Feature freeze is
> > looming, and I've not seen it proposed for review or at least a build
> > fix.
> >
> > I'd suggest to remove it from kdereview.
>
> It was proposed a while ago but rejected because it doesn't use the
> new systray/notifier item spec (a shame the spec dosen't make it clear
> that this is an intended use).

a protocol specification should not indicate all possible uses. that steps
outside what a protocol specification does and gets into application-of-the-
technology territory. the intent of the spec is to allow for both known and
unforeseen application of status notification, so it's really unreasonable to
expect such things in the spec itself as it would be instantly limiting
(besides being off topic). it would be like describing how a webbrowser's tabs
and location bar should look like in the html spec ;)

now, that said, i did, *repeatedly* communicate this aspect of the technology
to people who were working on this code at Canonical. so the "it's a shame.."
thing feels pretty unfair. it wasn't a secret, it was just impossible to get
it heard through the iron curtain of Ayatana.

i also don't believe that had this been spelled out in the spec that it would
have changed what happened in the least. there was already a decided upon
path, and i've discovered through years of watching that those decisions are
ultimately unflexible. i understand this is a tradeoff made for project
control and release marketing reliability.

> It's still a
> great deal better than what's in KDE currently

the UI is nice, the idea is good, the implementation is, tbh, ungreat. our
shared users will suffer as a consequence. i looked at the code and had this
been developed openly with upstream coordination, i would have offered
feedback on it that would have highlighted a few issues. but if a group
doesn't play by the rules of the game, i refuse to play the game with them at
all. this is not petty, btw, it's protecting the value of the commons. i will
not offer feedback on efforts that subvert the established process, no matter
how good an idea it represents in the moment. the long term consequences of
separate silos, non-open-consensus development and downstream fracturing are
simply too severe.

now, i really dislike treating an ally like that, but i simply can't abide the
behaviour. it is not welcome here and it will never be welcome here. were that
to continue, your would become increasingly isolated in your efforts and while
pushing on with your self-grown agenda we would compete for developers. given
project Timelord, i don't think that aligns with your goals at all.

that's the crappy doom, but here's the happy glow:

the recent meeting we had about using status notifier spec in Ubuntu's gnome
and working on integrating dbusmenu into both KDE and GNOME's implementations
is a great step towards playing by the rules of the commons. it's consensus in
action, it's getting needs met, it's communicating and coordinating our plans.
i'm really, really hopeful that's the way it continues and currently am
committed to supporting those movements. let's try to ensure that those sorts
of efforts are what the Kubuntu - KDE relationship are characterized by going
forward.

let's make that the reality and not accept anything less.

(interestingly, i recently came across some academic literature via a friend
that documents how societies with successful long term commons often have
ultra-strong us-and-them, in-and-out boundaries with very real consequences
for those on the other side of them.)

> and continues to
> be developed as a standalone project with support upstream in KMail and
>  Quassel now.

personally, i find such ad-hoc-additions-to-upstream to be absolutely
repugnant. it's not a sustainable development model because we have so many
actors who would 'innovate' and if we chase after every cool cat that comes
into the neighbourhood our software is going to become riddled with things
that have no consensus support and which in many cases will fade away.

yes, yes, yes, i know, consensus is hard to get. but it prevents most
(granted, not all) fuck ups. if you look at the majority of really big fuck
ups in the last few years on the Linux desktop, it's been when some cowboy
somewhere or another decides "this is the way to go!" without any consensus
generation outside his little circle of BFFs and often in direct opposition to
the general consensus. there are a few people in this world who can get away
with that kind of behaviour because they are just that good/lucky. most of us
are not those people and shouldn't pretend otherwise.

humru othro a kohnu se