can qtscript plasmoids load C++ qtscript plugins

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) morpheuz at openbossa.org
Fri Nov 13 13:15:13 CET 2009

Hi Pekka,

On Friday 13 November 2009, 04:32 Pekka Reijula wrote:
> Our idea allows creation of plasmoids that have qtscript inside to your own
> plama desktop environment. We can extend plasma in a way that allows user
>  to write own script with for example Kate or download it from http url.
>  The basic idea is that only text is read and script is evaluated. All that
>  you need for this is the qtscript-bindings that for example amarok uses.

Maybe I'm not getting what you meant: this is already possible. Plasma supports
javascript/qtscript plasmoids. If you put them somewhere like kde-apps.org you
will also be able to download them. So, what exactly is your point about
"enabling plasma" to run script plasmoids ? So, maybe I just didn't get what
you mean :) Can you explain a little bit more ?

> What this could offer, would be pretty much the same that the Qt-lively
> project offers in here: http://lively.cs.tut.fi/qt/videos.html
> All the widgets can be run also in our system.

If you mean running "qt lively" scripts on plasma, then we have two options: if
they are "pure" javascript or qtscript ones it should work out of the box of
even just need some really small work. If they are special in any way, then we
should just create a qt lively scriptengine and it will work perfectly (just
like we did with google gadgets, edje and OSX).

> What do you deveopers think? Should plasma be able add these kind of
> widgets. Or should it be better to just create plasmoid that enables
> importing this kind of functionality inside. I could upload the plasmoid
> sources to kde, but I'm not yet a plasma developer.

Well, it should be pretty easy to be a plasma/kde developer ;P. But anyway I
think that we are closer than you think to support qt lively widgets on plasma.
Maybe it already works with just a little amount of work. And as I'm on my
creative Friday, maybe I can end the day making this thing work ;) But first I
need to understand what I asked above and have access to this widgets.

Cheers!

Artur Duque de Souza
openBossa
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia