can qtscript plasmoids load C++ qtscript plugins

Pekka Reijula reijula at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 08:32:03 CET 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009, Ian Monroe wrote:
> I suspect the answer to the subject is "no" since I haven't found a
> mention of a method to do it. But I also haven't found comprehensive
> QtScript API docs. :)
QtScript apidocs are generated in Qt labs project qtscriptgenerator.

> My situation is that I want to write a full chat solution in a
> qtscript plasmoid using the QtScript Telepathy bindings I wrote. (I'm
> guessing a dataengine or service for buddy presence and chatting would
> be pretty crazy right?)

We have created couple of soulutions where this kind of importing bindings
is possible, so I'm more than a willing to start a discussion how to proceed
with this kind of ideas in plasma.

Our idea allows creation of plasmoids that have qtscript inside to your own
plama desktop environment. We can extend plasma in a way that allows user to
write own script with for example Kate or download it from http url. The
basic idea is that only text is read and script is evaluated. All that you
need for this is the qtscript-bindings that for example amarok uses.

What this could offer, would be pretty much the same that the Qt-lively
project offers in here: http://lively.cs.tut.fi/qt/videos.html
All the widgets can be run also in our system.
What do you deveopers think? Should plasma be able add these kind of
widgets. Or should it be better to just create plasmoid that enables
importing this kind of functionality inside. I could upload the plasmoid
sources to kde, but I'm not yet a plasma developer.
--
   -- Pekka Reijula
   -- reijula at gmail.com