How to get Akonadi notes onto Plasma?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:08:31 CET 2009

Marco Martin wrote:

> On Monday 02 November 2009, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> >
>> > these are all doable; i just wonder if it's the best we can do for a
>> > UI. i'm not getting any inspired thoughts right now (too early in the
>> > day still, i think :) but maybe if i think on it or if someone else
>> > comes up with a great idea we could device a nicer more plasma approach
>> > to showing stacks of notes.

>> > it would probably fail in some situations or just be more difficult
>> > than necessary to get working properly. when the notes are separated by
>> > the user into individual pieces, they should probably just become
>> > individual applets.
>>
>> So could a combined approach work? When new notes are inserted elsewhere
>>  and should be represented in plasma too, could it be put into an
>>  extender, and then if the extender is dragged out it becomes another
>>  plasma applet?
>>
>> Would it then be possible to drag a detached note back to the stack and
>>  into an extender?
>
> i think no point in making them extenders if they are going to be full
> applets once detached.
>
> best idea is probably the one rfom sebas, making the notes applet there is
> now to manage akonadi urls drop, so in that case would be connected to
> akonadi and save there
> there would be another applet that would show a simple list view  of the
> notes text where is possible to drag notes out (same thing should be
> possible also from kjots to look really killer)

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. This is the kind of thing I meant when I
wrote about a master applet with satellites applets, which Aaron wrote would
fail in some situations. I'm not certain if this is what he meant, but some
issues that I see are:

* Can the master applet or list applet know when a note it is listing is
dropped onto the workspace and should not be shown in the list anymore.
* Can the master applet know when a note applet was closed/dismissed and
should be shown in the list again.
* Can the master applet notify the note if it gets deleted in akonadi. (in
the kjots application for example). There is another solution for this one
in akonadi if not.
* Would it be possible to drag one of the note applets back into the master
applet?

However, reading it again, this:

> when the notes are separated by
> the user into individual pieces, they should probably just become
> individual applets.

looks like you, he and I are talking about the same thing. It might have
been a misunderstanding about what I meant by master widget with satellites.
I meant one widget to hold those notes in a list which are not otherwise on
the canvas, and individual notes, one for each widget which has been dragged
out.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Steve.