knotificationitem: api prettiness

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Tue May 26 23:58:55 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) we have two way to set icons: by name and by pixmap, right now by name is
> setIcon()
> by pixmap is setImage()
> (that should reflect in dbus too)
> that looks a bit weird, would be better maybe setIconName() and setIcon()?

To make it clear, the setImage() form takes a QIcon, while the
setIcon() form takes a QString. If it's called setIcon() then it
should take an icon.

> 2)  void showMessage(const QString &title, const QString &message, const
> QString &icon, int timeout = 10000);
>
> should become
>
> void showMessage(const QString &message, const QString &title = QString(),
> const QString &icon = QString(), int timeout = 10000);

The aim here is that you shouldn't need both a title and an icon just
to show a message. Those are extras, not things that should be
required.

> anything else important i forgot?
>

> aaand, can quite big changes like the icon methods still be done?
> and when? now? after 4.3?

The idea of having an experimental area in kdelibs was to handle
things like this, so - how do we do it in practice?

Cheers

Rich.