battery plasmoid and remaining time..

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu May 14 12:56:36 CEST 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009 11:20:55 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 14 May 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it is not an absolute number, it's a made up number. it's a guess. you
> > call
>
> on my way to bed i remembered one further point: on handheld devices this
> "time left" number would be a total joke.
>
> both my cell phone and n810 can last days if i let them sit, at least a day
> if i use it for things like SMS or email.... but as soon i start a voice
> call on the phone or a skype call on the n810 it's a whole different story.

If you're running the standard software on the N810, you'll notice that it
reports two times: "Time left when idle" and "Time left when in use", the
latter is what we're doing as well.

> just as with the %, i would need to interpolate based on what i'm doing
> what that "Time left" number means.

Though in the N810 case, one could probably have a worst case (You know how
much power the device can draw at max.)

Maybe this worst case scenario is something we could use as well?

> these devices go into very deep sleep states that just sip at the power,
> but start drawing more or less power depending on the use case. and with
> those devices, that can change from minute to minute.

I'm absolutely aware of that. It's not the first time I touch power
management. :)

> so i suspect that the first thing we'd end up doing with the battery
> plasmoid on such devices is have a laugh as we watched the number wobble
> all over and then remove this feature.

Actually, no. I'm suspending my notebook all the time, and have never
experienced this uselessness. The discharge isn't measure when the machine is
suspended, only when it's actually running. (Doesn't cover the CPU sleep
states (so-called P-states), as opposed to the system sleep state (S-states)).
--
sebas