why not to use dptrs in non-libraries

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 11 09:54:23 CEST 2009

hi..

so, we all know we use dptrs in libraries to maintain binary compatibility.
but i'm seeing them used more and more in plugins such as plasmoids. this is
really, really annoying when trying to debug things because then we end up
with backtraces like this:

Application: Plasma Widget Viewer (plasmoidviewer), signal: Segmentation fault
[KCrash Handler]
#6  0x00000011 in ?? ()
#7  0xa98ab67b in Kickoff::RecentlyUsedModel::setNameDisplayOrder
(this=0x82f2b58, displayOrder=Kickoff::NameBeforeDescription)
    at
/home/aseigo/kde4/KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/kickoff/core/recentlyusedmodel.cpp:213
#8  0xa98f9b1b in Kickoff::Launcher::setShowAppsByName (this=0x82b1fc8,
showAppsByName=true) at

not good. there's no reason for dptrs except for in libraries that are keeping
binary compat. please don't use dptrs otherwise, if only for the sake of
debugging. thanks.

humru othro a kohnu se