JS Scriptengine in libplasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 7 18:00:27 CEST 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009, Richard Dale wrote:
> I agree that the python and ruby script engine bindings have more
> dependency problems than QScript bindings, and it wouldn't make sense
> to put them in kdelibs.

well, none of the ScriptEngines are going to move to kdelibs. they are runtime
deps, not build time debs. i'd have not particular issue with the ruby and
python ScriptEngines also moving to runtime, though that probably puts an even
greater maintenance requirement on them.

the web, google gadgets, macos and edje scriptengines should remain in
workspace imho.

> there was work going on into developing some more complete JavaScript
> bindings based on the QtJambi parser/code generator. So I wonder if
> anyone is intending to develop the more complex bindings further?

that's the idea; unfortunately it seems rather difficult to keep people
interested in doing bindings and it's really not my forte either.

> Have
> we had enough feedback yet to know whether or not the simpler bindings
> are sufficient for what most people want to do?

they are sufficient for most of what i need to do, but they certainly do not
cover all use cases by a long shot. the idea was always to offer a full API
alongside the simplified one.

humru othro a kohnu se