JS Scriptengine in libplasma

Leonardo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Thu May 7 11:53:30 CEST 2009

On Thursday 07 May 2009 07:39:43 Andreas Stricker wrote:
> Hi

> Yes, I'll appreciate this. This allows applications with
> Applet containers without the need for workspace.
>
> Plasma is a great Widget framework not stricly bound to be
> only usable for desktop environments...

Yep, that's my thinking :)

> >> Makes sense to me. Although technically we no longer depend on
> >> kdebase/runtime (we just required oxygen which moved to kdesupport).
> >
> > technically, all kde apps depend on kdebase-runtime. :)
>
> Yes because most of the applets, containments, shells, etc there
> depend on resources from kdebase-runtime.
> Only the script engines there are more independed and may be
> moved further down?

Something else that  just came up---plasmapkg is in kdebase/workspace as well.
Would it make sense to bump that one over too? I ask because that seems to be
"the way" to install scripted plasmoids, and a scriptengine w/out means of
installation is a bit weird. Especially as GHNS requires a command-line
program to use to install (otherwise given the scriptfile i could call
Plasma::Package manually)

Another thing about plasmapkg: it would be nice if we could set the
ServicePrefix from the commandline, so we can pass it from a GHNS .knsrc.
Otherwise i don't see how to tell plasmapkg to install my amarok applet
properly.

leo

-----
lfranchi at kde.org		Tufts  University 2010