Transparent themes without composition

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun May 3 21:29:42 CEST 2009

Am Sonntag 03 Mai 2009 19:56:05 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> a fundamental challenge in this conversation is that for you the definition
> of "good looking desktop" includes "a panel that looks like its
> translucent". for the rest of us, we see that as a nice to have item only
> and therefore perfectly ok to tie it into compositing.
No, to me it was more about "make themes created with transparency in mind
also look nice when transparency is not available". The idea of faking real
transparency was not part of this.

Most created themes have transparency in mind, so this would save the user
(including me) the downloading of 20 themes via GHNS, just to see that most
look like crap, and it would save the theme designer the problem of having to
explicitly support the non-composite case (Which most don't do anyway).

> as for color matching panels and wallpapers, i've described how that could
> be done. it doesn't seem there's much interest in that, however, as i keep
> seeing patches that do completely different things.
Yes, because the color-matching alone simply isn't satisfying. It's just a
first step.

Apart from that, see the other mail. I know that this discussion is over for a
long time.