Transparent themes without composition

David Nolden zwabel at googlemail.com
Sun May 3 21:16:28 CEST 2009

Am Sonntag 03 Mai 2009 00:20:13 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> I very much doubt that any Linux distribution including KDE 4.3 will not
> provide at least XRender compositing with *any* hardware. If you own such a
> hardware you should report a bug report to X developers requesting support.
Btw. just because the hardware provides some kind of xrender or opengl
acceleration does not mean that it is usable when used for composition. This
means: If sluggishness is not an option for the user, then composite is not an
option for him as well.

The cases where composite does not make the desktop feelably sluggish are
rare. Actually I haven't seen any yet, but since you guys are so eager to tell
me that it works well, I believe there must be some such cases.

@Aaron: I know the real part of this discussion is long over for a long time.
Now I just have to defend against all those who are telling to me that the
problem I'm having does not exist.

Maybe I'll take a look at some point at changing the themes directly to adapt
them to the wallpaper and transform transparent themes into opaque ones.

But for now I have one important recommendation: Do not allow using
transparent themes without composition. When composition is disabled and the
theme does not have an opaque version, switch to another theme that is opaque.

Right now, transparent themes without composition make plasma look just
broken.