Notifications Features

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sat May 2 20:40:49 CEST 2009

Some of you may or may not remember that I've also been working on
interruptions and notifications; however as part of a uni project rather than
for an open source project.

Part of the project is for designing an empirical experiment to explore
different features in notifications. I would like to look at features which KDE
would find useful to make the study more valuable.

What types of questions do you regarding notifications? I've seen some
questions regarding the amount of time a message should be displayed, how long
a message history should last, etc.

I'm also thinking about looking at ways we can mediate notifications, that is,
instead of immediately displaying a notification, assess the user and the
environment and decide if it would be better to postpone the notification for a
short time. (For example, if a user currently has a context or window menu
open, postpone the notification until the menu is closed or until n seconds)

Comments? Feature ideas?

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project