Signals and slots for containment show and hide actions (mainly for panels)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 31 19:02:39 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009, Emdek wrote:
> > one thought i've had is to subclass it and provide a custom
> > showPopup/hidePopup that takes the view() and positions is using
> > Applet::popupPosition
> >
> > still wouldn't get proper context menus on the line edit, but at least
> > the
> > combobox would work :)
>
> Thanks for suggestion, I'll try to look also into KHistoryComboBox sources,
> maybe I'll find something interesting here. But there is still problem with
> focus of editable fields, at least in panels when there are visible
> windows.

yes, the panel doesn't ever get keyboard focus. that's something we need to
work out as well ... basically, we need to know when a widget that can use
keyboard focus in a meaningful way gets focus.

in kicker, everything was an x window, so it could grab focus independently
without requiring the whole panel to do so. with alien widgets or widgets on
canvas, we don't have that shortcut available to us.

> And one small thing, I've noticed bug in example of usage
> Plasma::ToolTipManager in docs (it will work only when using methods). Is
> there maybe better place for reporting such as small bugs?

if there's something incorrect in the apidox, please feel free to just fix
them up and commit :)

> Sorry for next off topic, but these problems are so small that additional
> message only for them doesn't make much sense. ;-)

yeah, it's all good :)

> > look at the frame plasmoid perhaps. and maybe you could write a small
> > tutorial
> > on techbase with what you've found?
>
> As far as I remember I've checked this plasmoid then (probably here I've
> found needed entries in .desktop file), also I was looking in sources of
> video player from playground. I'll check them again soon.
>
> I could try with tutorial but then someone should review it, because as can
> you see my English is not perfect. ;-)

if you post the link here, i'm sure several of us would be happy to review it
and fix any errors :)

humru othro a kohnu se