Review Request: simple animation of tabbar icons everytime kickoff is launched by pressing the KDE start button

M. Mehdi Salem Naraghi momesana at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:50:10 CET 2009

Davide Bettio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you revert this patch?
> I think that your patch doesn't fulfill user and plasma requirements.
> IMHO it is too slow and weird. I think that users may get annoyed by that
> animation after a couple of times.
> I remember that Zack Rusin has wrote an interesting post about animations on
> his blog. I suggest you to look for that post.
>
> Bye,
> Davide Bettio.
>
> I agree with Davide here. The animation does not provide any additional value,
> it's choppy (I get two to three frames at best on an ATI X1300 and Nvidia
> 7600GS) and it makes kickoff feel stalled, so less responsive. That's counter-
> productive.
>
> An animation would make sense if there was actual waiting time, but there
> isn't and shouldn't.
>
> Also, I don't see why we should provide this as an option, it simply does not
> provide sufficient value to clutter up the UI. (In fact, I think it would
> provide a bad example.)

Hi,
well, first of all, the patch was on kdereview for about 2 to 3 weeks
before I submitted the patch. I wished people had given more feedback by
then. The only person to try it out was aron seigo and he wasn't that
negative about the patch so I submitted it. Regarding the performance
... I have to say that a similiar animation on my shitty sony erricsson
mobile phone I bought three years ago runs pretty smoothly. Running 3
Gigahertz computers equipped with 2-4 Gigabytes of ram and and still
encountering such issues while running a tiny animation tells me
something is wrong. Maybe it would have been better to find the reason
for the performance bottleneck instead of removing the animation. I also
disagree with Sebastian that animations only make sense when there is
waiting time. I think animations instead should not result in additional
waiting time thus annoying the user while working. This wasn't the case
with this animation.  Anyway, I removed the stuff from the tabbar.
Thanks for the feedback.