Review Request: simple animation of tabbar icons everytime kickoff is launched by pressing the KDE start button

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 27 15:35:18 CET 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 21:53:32 Davide Bettio wrote:
> Can you revert this patch?
> I think that your patch doesn't fulfill user and plasma requirements.
> IMHO it is too slow and weird. I think that users may get annoyed by that
> animation after a couple of times.
> I remember that Zack Rusin has wrote an interesting post about animations
> on his blog. I suggest you to look for that post.

I agree with Davide here. The animation does not provide any additional value,
it's choppy (I get two to three frames at best on an ATI X1300 and Nvidia
7600GS) and it makes kickoff feel stalled, so less responsive. That's counter-
productive.

An animation would make sense if there was actual waiting time, but there
isn't and shouldn't.

Also, I don't see why we should provide this as an option, it simply does not
provide sufficient value to clutter up the UI. (In fact, I think it would
provide a bad example.)
--
sebas