[IDEA] Google Summer of Code - plasmoid mixer with phonon lib

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 23:22:15 CET 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Divendres, 13 de març de 2009, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:
> > On Thursday 12 March 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > What's the need of such plasmoid when we already have kmix?
> >
> > i assume you asked the same thing about kicker's mixer applet?
>
> No because the kicker's mixer applet is clearly an applet while that
> screenshots show me nothing but a total copy of kmix window interface.

iirc kicker's applet:

* allowed one to pick which  channels to show
* allowed one to split channels into left/right
* allowed one to mute channels
* allowed one to pick which device you were controlling

which is pretty much exactly what kmix did and does. you didn't complain then,
and in fact seem to be defending the kicker applet. if you think kicker's
applet was ok, it would be silly to come out against a plasmoid because they
are the *same thing*.

now, what i see in this proposal is to create a plasmoid that is essentially
what the kicker applet was with some new features.

to play a thought experiment: if someone had added those same features to the
kicker applet, how many objections would there have been? my bet would be on
"no complaints".

anyways, "it was in kicker" really isn't a good enough justification. what i'd
expect from a plasmoid (or a kicker applet; and, btw, this is where the kicker
applet failed miserably) would be:

* the ability to *easily* select what was being controlled

* in small spaces an icon that just controlled the main channel, and popup the
whole mixer interface (e.g. as a Plasma::PopupAppplet does) when clicked on
making it actually useful on small panels

* the ability to define what the main icon was, and have more than on copy of
that applet showing so i can have a couple different mixer set ups should i so
desire

* sensible defaults that aren't geared towards "control everything" but
towards "control the common things, allow display of controls for everything
if configured as such"

* good looks

the use cases are:

* quick "always on" access to your mixer from the desktop interface that
blends nicely with other similar controls (aka "freeing it from the system
tray")

* showing the controls in "non-desktop" places such as a media center
containment or on the screensaver so others or even you yourself can adjust
volumes without unlocking the system

as to "joining forces with kmix", what features does kmix need/lack in your
opinion? the per-application controls?

humru othro a kohnu se