Notifications Theming

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 12 00:00:31 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> while I agree with you that Trever hasn't given any compelling reasons
> for notification theming, "because we can" has always seemed to be a
> good enough reason in KDE

which led to some of the most horrific interfaces around. we're actually
trying to get *away* from that :)

> But the
> possibility to arrive at a growl-like notification system seems
> inviting to me.

why?

if growl did not exist, would you think that?

whenever you hear "$something-alike" without any reasoning behind it, we
should immediately think of cargo cult design and look for the use-benefit
justification.

that way we won't end up doing stupid things like reversing the order of Ok-
Cancel "because Apple did it 25 years ago"

> Essentially we would crowdsource the process of
> finding a good way to notify the user.

this is perhaps the absolutely *worst* way to design anything. why?

a) users are not able to articulate what they actually want (at best they can
identify their pain point, sometimes by describing a "solution")

b) we do not have access to the *vast* majority of our users, so any
"crowdsourcing" would lead to

there is no "wisdom of the crowd" here.

humru othro a kohnu se