Notifications Theming

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Wed Mar 11 16:43:32 CET 2009

> Hello everyone,
>
> while I agree with you that Trever hasn't given any compelling reasons
> for notification theming, "because we can" has always seemed to be a
> good enough reason in KDE (that was of course in times when the
> proposing party would also be the realizing party). But the
> possibility to arrive at a growl-like notification system seems
> inviting to me. Essentially we would crowdsource the process of
> finding a good way to notify the user.
>
> The totally unappealing, because unhip alternative to the über-modern
> crowdsourcing would of course be to ask an expert :-). Just yesterday
> Celeste reminded us, that she is doing work in exactly that field. So
> my humble opinion regarding this, is to ask her if we can be of any
> help to her and what's her time frame for it.

Thats what I was going for, but I had a tough time putting it in the right
words. A growl-like notification system is what I was really aiming for. We're
mostly there in that we have KNotify, so we just need to go the extra distance
and make some slick way to theme the presentation. Giving notifications their
own plasma SVG files would be a good start.