plasmate project: suggestion for timeline view

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 3 23:58:58 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Denis Kormalev wrote:
> >wouldn't a simple timeline with markers on it be a lot nicer to use? we
> > could even put action buttons on hover right on the markers, such as
> > "Change to this save point".
>
> Hmm. Really good idea. But what should we do in large zoom (for example
> year) with big project with a lot of commits? Maybe some commits (with
> smaller number of changes) should be dropped from view?

when its zoomed out, you can probably just show summaries at various levels of
detail.

so when zoomed out too far that stacking save points vertically won't really
work, then maybe show one box that shows the first line/few words of the first
N points and then have "X more save points..."

click on that box would zoom into that area and show the save points in
greater detail.

as an aside, try to think of them in terms of saves or save points rather than
commits. the difference isn't a lot, but we want the user experience to be
oriented towards the idea of "saving, just without having to worry about file
names and have a record of your saves" than actual revision control (which is
a more advanced concept which would be foreign to newer people and would cause
experienced people to want features from this aspect of plasmate that i just
don't want to see in there such as branching)

humru othro a kohnu se