Plasmate Status

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 21:43:12 CEST 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009, Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) wrote:
> Note that up to now you have to manually setup the working directory by
> modifying line 165 in mainwindow.cpp, because
> that global variable isn't set yet

what's wrong with m_model->package()?

> ( actually the projects directories are
> saved in $HOME/.kde4/share/apps/plasmate which is not
> a good choice imo, if we want to focus on beginner developers... what about
> a $HOME/PlasMate_Projects folder instead? )

the point is that they should never have to worry about where the files are.
it's an implementation detail. and polluting the home dir with working data
sets is not great form.

> By the way, I need a DataEngine example written in JavaScript, I searched
> in TechBase, kde-look.org and in various svn
> modules without result.

i added the first support for those 2 weeks ago, so it's not a mystery why you
didn't find anything on it ;) i (or someone) still needs to do some bindings
for Service as well so such dataengines can reimplement serviceForSource
sanely.

> As regards runners, I looked for examples in TechBase and in
> kdebase/workspace/plasma/runners, kdeplasma-addons/runners,
> kdereview/plasma/runners but I only found c++ sources... So probably
> scripting support for runners is not ready now, and I hid
> the corresponding button.

please don't hide buttons because they don't work. that's what you do for
final release only if you don't manage to get them working in the meantime,
but hiding them during development is an awesome way to ensure they never get
implemented. this is the out of sight, out of mind principle.

and yes, it's possible to write runners with ecma script. as soon as it's
possible to write something useful with plasmate, i'll do up some examples
using it. ;)

humru othro a kohnu se