4.4 call for runners (ideas)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:07:21 CEST 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > * generic dbus runner (??)
>
> let me elaborate on this;
> what I meant is some kind of simple plugin-based runner which would bind
> krunner and dbus; the runner would load some (e.g.) xml's which would bind
> some query terms to dbus methods; each entry of the xml would provide icons
> and descriptions along with special values handling specs (as for "max"
> "min" "off" "on", so on and so forth) I believe this would make much easier
> the integration with krunner by applications (even third-party apps), as
> writing the specs for the .xml file would be only slightly more difficult
> than writing a .desktop file.

since queries would be very simple, like "volume max" (and must be otherwise
defies the concept of krunner) maybe a desktop file or anyways something that
can be parsed in a KConfigGroup would be enough, each application would
install its own little file  in share/apps/krunner
now is to be seen how to manage eventual clashes of commands

> One obvious possible drawback for this is that if each app spawns its own
> runner, we would see either a plethora of new runners coming up in the
> (already quite crowded) configuration dialog if we consider each plugin as
> a separate runner, or we would lack fine control on which app to control if
> we decide to consider each plugin as part of the same runner.
>
> I'd like to hear your feedback about this.
> Thanks
>    Jacopo

Marco Martin