4.4 call for runners (ideas)

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:13:27 CEST 2009

> * generic dbus runner (??)
let me elaborate on this;
what I meant is some kind of simple plugin-based runner which would bind krunner and dbus;
the runner would load some (e.g.) xml's which would bind some query terms to dbus methods;
each entry of the xml would provide icons and descriptions along with special values handling specs (as for "max" "min" "off" "on", so on and so forth)
I believe this would make much easier the integration with krunner by applications (even third-party apps), as writing the specs for the .xml file would be only slightly more difficult than writing a .desktop file.

One obvious possible drawback for this is that if each app spawns its own runner, we would see either a plethora of new runners coming up in the (already quite crowded) configuration dialog if we consider each plugin as a separate runner, or we would lack fine control on which app to control if we decide to consider each plugin as part of the same runner.

I'd like to hear your feedback about this.
Thanks
   Jacopo